Welcome to the Activities pages of the EPC’s Engineering Ethics toolkit, produced in partnership with the Royal Academy of Engineering. Click here for the toolkit homepage.
Here you will find case enhancements, as well as other learning and teaching activities.
Case enhancements are teaching materials and resources that help educators to employ the ethics case studies and lead the activities referenced within them. Enhancements provide crucial guidance for those who may be teaching ethics-related material for the first time, or who are looking for new and different ways to integrate ethics into their teaching. They may take the form of discussion prompts, debate or role play scripts, technical content related to the ethical dilemma, worksheets, slides, or other similar materials.
- Case enhancement: Business growth models in engineering industries within an economic system – (Debate: Defending a profit-driven business versus a non-profit-driven business)
- Case enhancement: Choosing to install a smart meter – (Technical integration: Practical investigation of electrical energy)
- Case enhancement: Developing an internet constellation – (Tether map: Anatomy of an internet satellite)
- Case enhancement: Developing a school chatbot for student support services – (Stakeholder mapping to elicit value assumptions and motivations)
- Case enhancement: Facial recognition for access and monitoring – (Prompts to facilitate discussion activities)
- Case enhancement: Glass safety in a heritage building conversion – (Debate: Do engineers have a responsibility to warn the public if there is a chance of risk?)
- Case enhancement: Industrial pollution from an ageing pipeline – (Prompts to facilitate discussion activities)
- Case enhancement: Power-to-food technologies – (An ethical evaluation of the technology and its impacts)
- Case enhancement: Water wars: managing competing water rights – (Role-play as stakeholders)
Other resources & activities:
- How to organise class sessions using Ethics case studies
- Using a constructive alignment tool to plan ethics teaching
Get involved: These case enhancements were created as part of the EPC’s Engineering Ethics toolkit that is intended to evolve and grow over time. Further content will be added or linked to in due course. We are actively inviting experts to submit case enhancements for review and possible inclusion in this toolkit. For more information, see our Get involved page.